This could be for several reasons. The first is to check that the device you’re browsing on/using is connected to your home Wi-Fi. If not switch to your home Wi-Fi and try again.
Next we need to check that your device isn’t using some other DNS server. If this is the case then nothing on that device will be blocked. To do this choose your operating system below.
- Go to Settings
- Tap Network & Internet
- Tap on the Wi-Fi network you're connected to
- You may need to tap a second time or long tap
- Scroll down and check DNS is set to 192.168.X.110 (where X is the same number as your router - see here for more information)
If it isn't set to the right IP address some Android devices may allow you to change it by going back to Network & Internet, long tapping on the Wi-Fi network and selecting Modify
- Open Settings
- Tap Wi-Fi
- Tap on the Wi-Fi network you're connected to (eg your home Wi-Fi)
- Tap Configure DNS
It should be set to Automatic. If it isn't then change it to Automatic and try to load the site/app again.
- Open System Preferences
- Click Network
- Click Advanced
- Click DNS
Ensure that your Pi-hole IP address is listed - 192.168.X.110 (where X is the same number as your router - see here for more information)
- Go to Control Panel
- Click on Network & Internet
- Click on Network and Sharing
- In the left side panel click Change Adaptor Settings
- Right click on your network connection and click Properties
- Select Internet Protocol Version 4 and click Properties
- Ensure Obtain DNS server address automatically is selected
If your device is using the ad blocking software as it’s DNS then you can try to block the advert. To do this open a new browser tab/instance of the mobile app/game and navigate to the offending page. When the page has loaded then go to the ad blocking software dashboard by typing pi.hole/admin in another browser tab. Click Query Log in the left hand side panel and work out which domains were queried. From here you can click Blacklist on the right hand side to blacklist them. Once you have blacklisted then wait a minute before reloading the offending page. You may need to do this several times until you find the right ad serving domain or combination of domains to block.
It’s impossible to block 100% of adverts for several reasons. The main reason being that some websites are now serving adverts or tracking from their own domain to get around blocking methods that the ad blocking software uses. This means that if you block the domain then you block the ability to use the functional part of the website. An example of this is facebook.